Click here to listen to the 2017 Owasso Chamber of Commerce Awards Presentation
OWASSO – The Owasso Chamber of Commerce’s Annual Luncheon celebrated a number of people who have made a difference in the community, and also welcomed a new chairperson for the 2018 term. Dr. Kathy Campbell, owner of Medicap Pharmacy gave opening remarks which included her vision for the Chamber over the next year.
Outgoing Chairman Skip Mefford, President of RCB Bank, was celebrated for his year of service to the organization. As a token of the Chamber’s appreciation, Mefford was presented with an autographed football from Uwe von Schamann, the kicker who helped the Oklahoma Sooners seal a dramatic week three win over Ohio State University in the 1977 season.
- The 2017 Chamber Service Award went to Rhonda Botts of Hometown Insurance Agency for her service to the Ambassadors Committee, and the Chamber of Commerce as a whole.
- The 2017 Community Appreciation Award was given by emcee Steve Mowery to Owasso High School Head Football Coach Bill Blankenship for his part in leading the Rams to the Oklahoma Class 6A – Division One State Championship.
- The 2017 Chairman’s Award was given to Central Plains Cement Company and Quality Manager John Tierney.
- The 2017 Community Awareness Award went to the Owasso Reporter weekly newspaper and News Editor Art Haddaway for his commitment to covering local news, weather, and sports.
- The 2017 Education Impact Award went to Gail Ballinger, who has served over 49 years in education as both a classroom teacher and 18-year member of the Owasso School Board.
- The 2017 Lifetime Impact Award went to D.M. and Phyllis Sokolosky for their six decades of service to the Owasso community through their pharmacy, banking, medical, and real estate efforts.
The keynote speaker for the event was Jill Donovan of Rustic Cuff, who told the story of how she built a part-time hobby into a retail empire based in the Tulsa area.